The STS Key management centre is operated for the STS association by the national electricity utility company Eskom in South Africa. Their services are as follows:
- The registration of Supply Group Codes (SGCs) on the KMC
- The registration of all security modules on the KMC
- The initialisation of all security modules on the KMC
- The generation of all STS vending keys for the relevant Supply Group Codes
- The loading / coding of the relevant STS vending keys into security modules, for use by the appointed vending equipment manufacturer/s. This will include security modules that are new, repaired or that need to be re-coded. The physical coding needs to take place in Eskom’s KMC in Midrand
- The loading of a key file onto a disk to accompany the security module (for loading onto the vending equipment). The disks will be supplied by Eskom
- The loading of STS vending keys on key cards, for use by the appointed meter manufacturer/s. The physical loading of the key cards needs to take place in Eskom’s KMC in Midrand.